Saturday, July 16, 2011

I Spent a Dollar Today

Here is a picture and a poem from this weekend's lovely beach day with my family.  
I hope you enjoy it :)

I Spent a Dollar Today

I spent a solitary dollar to secure a spot for my blue minivan by the sea.
I could have spent five to capture the comfy close spot, but I would have missed the white humming foam between the upright palms as I walk down Surfrider Drive.

My dollar procured a thousand smiles from my red, ginger prancing boy.  No tanned olive skin, or bronzed right physique here, but to my eyes it brought a tear.
For five dollars I could have had a cup of coffee de' jour to help quicken my mind, but the icy cold dip on my toes and the brisk wind on my forearms worked fine.

My dollar provided twelve square feet of dark crystal sand, with a bum named Tom on the side.  He slept, we played, shared mutual peace and exchanged the occasional high five.  For five, hundred thousand dollars that is, I could have owned a San Miguel Condo with splotchy pink paint behind, and I could sit on my porch, grow old with my vested pup, and drink wine.

My single dollar unfolded. And opened an expanse of ever growing wonderous green waves.  It purchased the warmth of star kissing skin, of family smiling in time.
For five, million dollars
I couldn't have received more.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thoughtful and an excellent example of discerning what's truly valuable.

tricia said...

beautiful poem and lovely imagery of a scene I can't wait to see again: the Lemons!